The Merri Yarra Gourmet Hike
Sunday 21 July 2019 @ 9.15 a.m.
If you’ve felt a little cynical lately about the development boom in Melbourne, then this is the hike for you! Unbeknownst to many Melburnians, Ceres (Centre for Education and Research in Environmental Strategies) is an environmental wonderland consisting of an eco-farm, organic grocer, sustainability hub, educational facility, cafe and nursery. We will begin this DanDomiTravels Gourmet Hike with a coffee and treat at this special place, then hike along the Merri Creek Trail towards Dights Falls in Abbotsford, where the Merri meets the Yarra. Walking the Main Yarra Trail we will then head up to our lunch stop at the beautiful Fairfield Park Boathouse. After lunch we will make our way back onto the Merri Creek Trail towards Ceres, where you can pick up organic goodies to take home for dinner.
The hike includes …
• A guided 14 km hike from Ceres (Brunswick East) to Fairfield Park Boathouse and back to Ceres
• A pre-walk coffee and pastry at Ceres
• Homemade treats (by me!) to snack on along the way
• Lunch at the Fairfield Park Boathouse Tea Gardens
• Good conversation, fresh air and wild nature in the heart of Melbourne.
Please bring along …
• Comfortable trainers or hiking boots
• Water bottle – 1L
• Sunscreen, sunglasses and a hat or beanie
• Warm, waterproof jacket (for whatever the Winter weather brings)
• Lunch and snack money
Date: Sunday 21 July 2019
Meeting point: Ceres, Corner Roberts and Stewart Streets, Brunswick East, Victoria. We will be meeting at the Organic Grocery inside the park.
Start time: Arrive between 9.15–9.30 a.m. for coffee and snacks, for a 10.00 a.m. departure.
Finish time: Approximately 4.00–4.30 p.m.
Parking: Parking is available at Ceres, where we will begin and end our hike.
Distance from Melbourne CBD: 6.5 km
Grade: Easy to moderate, with some inclines around the Yarra. Approx. 14 km total.
Cost: FREE! But please bring approx. $60 to cover coffee, snacks and lunch.
To book …
Email firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday 15 July to hold a spot. These hikes are best in small groups (max. 10 people), so best to get in quick! Please notify me as soon as possible if you are unable to attend. Thanks!